Home | High-Res License | Website License | Free Pictures | About

Cathedral of Learning

More Photos

The Cathedral of Learning, at the University of Pittsburgh, is the second tallest education building in the world: 42 stories, 535 feet tall. It is also the geographic and traditional heart of the campus, located next to Heinz Chapel.

Begun by Chancellor John Bowman in 1926 and dedicated in 1937, the building was completed with the help of contributions from men, women, and children throughout the region and the world. During the peak of the Depression, when funding for the project became especially challenging, school children were encouraged to contribute a dime to "buy a brick."

The building houses the three-story, gothic Commons Room, classrooms (including the renowned Nationality Classrooms), the University's administrative offices, libraries, a computer center, a restaurant, and offices and classrooms for several liberal arts departments.

The University is located in the Oakland area of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Additional pictures of interest from this area include the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (one block southeast from here, across Bigelow Boulevard and Fifth Avenue), Mellon Institute (across S. Bellefield avenue from Heinz Chapel), and Saint Paul Cathedral (one block northeast up Fifth Avenue).