Home | High-Res License | Website License | Free Pictures | About

Heinz Chapel

More Photos

Heinz Chapel, dedicated in 1938, is the University of Pittsburgh's campus chapel (located next to the Cathedral of Learning and across S. Bellefield Avenue from Carnegie Mellon University's Mellon Institute). This neo-gothic style building, designed by Charles Z. Klauder, is a gift from Henry John Heinz (founder of the Heinz Food Company) and his children.

It has 23 stained glass windows, depicting 391 sacred and secular figures who are famous in religion, history, medicine, science, and the arts. The 73-foot-tall transept windows, among the tallest in the world, represent the character traits of tolerance, courage, temperance, and truth. The windows, which highlight an equal number of women and men, contain sacred and secular figures from history, literature, and science.

The University is located in the Oakland area of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

View the first, previous, or next Heinz Chapel picture. Additional architecture pictures in the area include the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (one block southeast from here, across Bigelow Boulevard and Fifth Avenue), and Saint Paul Cathedral (one block northeast up Fifth Avenue).